Saturday, November 20, 2010

Incoming!!!!!!!!!!!


 I like 5th edition.  A lot.  I've been playing since Rogue Trader so I understand how far the game has come.  I was thinking during my last game about the cover system.  Cover is HUGE.  In fact, I think the game was originally designed to be played with substantially more cover than most people currently use.  There is basically one situation in which I think the cover system breaks down a little bit.  Say there is a squad of space marines in a forest.  They get shot by a crack missile.  The cover system works fine.  You get a cover save because you wouldn't normally get an armor save.  Now pretend that the same squad gets shot at by a unit of guardsmen with lasguns.  They get their armor save which is fine.....my question is, "Why only their armor save?".  Using the logic in the main rulebook, it would imply that a space marine in the open is just as likely to get killed by a lasgun or a bolter than a space marine in a forest.  At the end of the day I realize that I am playing with little plastic men, but it just doesn't seem that "realistic".

2 comments:

  1. You think they should get an improved armour save? Or a cover save in addition to their armour save, to give a space marine behind a tree a better chance of surviving a lasgun shot than a space marine out in the open?

    I agree that the space marine in the trees would be less likely to be struck by small arms fire than his counterpart in the open. The guardsman would have a harder time seeing and aiming at the marine in the forest.

    On the other hand, you can think of it this way: if power armour didn't stop something, how would a tree in the way have made a difference? If it penetrated power armour, it's going through the tree.

    Most likely the bottom line is that the game is just simpler if only one save is made. Make the game too complicated and it won't be as fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you for the most part. I guess a part of me still hangs on to the old days when there were modifiers to hit and modifiers to saving throws.

    ReplyDelete